From: David Wilson-Okamura <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: VIRGIL: Turnus ~ Mark Antony?
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 22:28:50 -0500

While getting up a lecture on Shakespeare's _Antony and Cleopatra_ a month
or so ago, I happened to notice that there are several references to a duel
between Antony and Octavian. The duel never comes off, of course, but
according to Plutarch (Shakespeare's primary source for the play), Mark
Anthony _did_ challenge Octavian to single combat before the battle of
Actium. My question is this: could this challenge have some bearing on the
single combat at the end of the Aeneid? Is Turnus, in some sense, Mark
Anthony?

Servius mentions Mark Anthony several times in his commentary; at no point,
however, does he suggest (and now I'm getting to my real point) that Mark
Anthony = Turnus. Which, I suppose, shows that Servius wasn't totally
crackers. But what do you think? If you buy into the idea that there is
_some_ historical allegory in the Aeneid, might not the duel with Turnus
represent a climactic moment in the career of Augustus? If so, which one?
Anthony's defeat at Actium? Or has Virgil taken it upon himself to
represent Actium in such a way as to give Octavian credit for the duel that
never fought, as if to say, "he could have done it, even though he didn't"?

One other point in favor of the loose Anthony = Turnus equation I'm
proposing here: they are both very sexy, very romantic, and very doomed.

I am not suggesting that the duel can't be other things as well (including
itself). I don't think we should be put off, though, by the idea that
Virgil might be using a single combat to represent a battle that was
actually fought by large armies or navies. Think, for instance, of the
battle between Prince Arthur and the Souldan in Faerie Queene book 5: in
the fiction of the poem, it's just two guys fighting; but it's also a
transparent allegory for the defeat of the Spanish Armada. Did Spenser get
the idea from the end of the Aeneid? That's harder to say, though Michael
O'Connell (in Mirror and Veil: The Historical Dimension of Spenser's Faerie
Queene) has argued persuasively, I think, that Spenser's historical
allegory is modeled on the practice of Virgil as expounded by Servius...

But I've gone on far too long. What think ye?