At 11:03 AM 10/18/01 +0100, Patrick Roper wrote:
>I thought that that might be the case, after all most creative people
>feel they could have done better - the stuff on the page, isn't quite
>what seemed to be in the mind.  But do we know this is what Virgil
>thought?  Did he say so somewhere?  Or did one of his contemporaries
>say that of him?

As Patrick Roper and Jim O'Hara point out, we need to be skeptical. In
addition to Thomas, see, for instance, Nicholas Horsfall, "Virgil: His Life
and Times," in _A Companion to the Study of Virgil_, ed. Nicholas Horsfall,
Mnemosyne Supplement 151 (Leiden: Brill, 1995), pp. 1-25.

For the record, though, here's what Virgil's first biographer, Aelius
Donatus (fl. 350), had to say on the subject. (On dating, keep in mind that
many people think Donatus is working over material collected by Suetonius;
note also that text in angle brackets does not appear in early MSS.)

123. In his fifty-second year, Virgil decided to retire to Greece and Asia
[Minor], in order to put the finishing touches on the Aeneid. He meant to
do nothing but revise for three straight years, so that the remainder of
his life would be free for philosophy. But while he was making his way to
Athens, he met up with Augustus, who was returning to Rome from the East.
He decided not to retire, and to turn back immediately. While he was
getting to know the nearby town of Megara, he took sick under the blazing
sun. His journey was suspended, but to no avail, so that when he put ashore
at Brindisi somewhat later, his condition was more serious. He passed away
there, after a few days, on 21 September [19 BC], during the consulship of
Gnaeus Sentius and Quintus Lucretius. His bones were transported to Naples,
and buried under a mound, which is on the road to Pozzuoli, less than two
miles out from the city. Someone made a distich on it as follows:

Mantua gave birth to me, the Calabrians snatched me away, now it holds me
fast--
The city where Parthenope is buried; I sang of pastures, fields, and princes.

138. He bequeathed half of his estate to Valerius Proculus, his brother by
an other father; a quarter to Augustus; a twelfth to Maecenas; and the rest
to Lucius Varius and Plotius Tucca, who corrected the Aeneid after his
death at Caesar's behest. Sulpicius of Carthage's verses on the subject are
extant thus:

Virgil had given instructions that it was to be destroyed,
The poem that sang of the Phrygian prince.
Tucca refused, and Varius; likewise you, greatest Caesar,
You do not refrain; you look out for the Latian narrative.
Luckless Pergamum nearly fell in a second fire,
Troy was almost consumed on another pyre.

Before leaving Italy, Virgil arranged with Varius to burn up the Aeneid if
something should befall him; but [Varius] had insisted that he would not do
so. Wherefore, when his health was failing, [Virgil] demanded his
scroll-cases earnestly, intending to burn them up himself; but since no one
stepped forward, it was to no purpose, even though he gave precise
stipulations in this matter. For the rest, he committed his writings to the
aforementioned Varius and Tucca, on the condition that they publish nothing
which he himself had not revised. Nonenetheless, Varius published them,
acting under the authority of Augustus. But they were revised only in a
cursory fashion, so that if there were any unfinished lines, he left them
unfinished. Many soon endeavored to mend these lines in the same style, but
they did not succeed; the task was too difficult, for nearly all of the
half-lines were free-standing and complete with regard to sense, except
this: "Whom Troy to you now..." [Aen. 3.340]. Nisus the grammarian says
that he heard from older men that Varius changed the order of two books,
and that which then was second he moved into third place, and even smoothed
out the beginning of the first book by subtracting these lines:

I am he that once played a song on the slender pipe;
Leaving the forests, I marked off the lands nearby,
That the fields might yield as much as possible to the eager husbandman--
A labor that pleased the farmers. But now Mars' shuddering
Arms and a man I sing...