There have been some comments recently about the upsurge of interest
in various aspects of Latin and Roman history and literature and this
is certainly true here in Britannia.

This week we have had two good programmes on BBC Radio 4, one about
the foundation of Rome and the other part of a series about the
development and decline of the Latin language.

Today a popular Radio 4 fincacial programme annouced THE MONEY BOX
LATIN CHRISTMAS CHALLENGE in which they are asking for the best Latin
translation of their motto "If it seems too good to be true, it
probably is".

Any subscribers interested in this can learn more at:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/audiovideo/programmes/moneybox/newsid
_1717000/1717948.stm

(Remember to stick the link back into one line if it splits in
transmisson).

Some of the upsurge of interest is, I am sure, to do with the
increased coverage of things Roman, often in a very lively and
accessible way, on TV and radio programmes, plus, of course, the
amazing access to resources that the Internet has allowed.

I think many others, like myself, "agnosco veteris vestigia flammae"
and very enriching it is too as it underpins so much of our culture.

Patrick Roper