This is mainly a reply to a reply of some time ago (I've been disrupted
by my wife's death). I mentioned the reference to
'pillars decorated with gold, barbarian-style' (A II 504; following, I
think, words attributed to Cassandra by Naevius and admired by Cicero) as
problem illustrating V's use of 'focalisation', or as an indication of V's
readiness to exploit variant focalisation - uncertainty about whose point
of view certain words represent - in order to create an interesting
effect.  ()Is Aeneas focalising 'barbarico' so that it refers to how the
Greek conquerors think or is he beginning, after seven years of exile
mainly amid Greek cultural influences, to think that there was something
barbaric about Troy? Commentators (Mackail for one) sometimes prefer
to soften the meaning of the word, pointing out that it need mean little
more than 'exotic' or 'oriental'. I've never liked the 'softening' of
'falsa insomnia' (by the same and many other scholars) at the end of Book
VI and I don't think it is very plausible for 'barbarico auro' either.
'Barbarian' was surely the key term of Greek ideas of race and ethnicity.
It was not wholly contemptuous or hostile but it did convey, to say the
least, an idea of lower cultural and  moral development.  I don't see how
one can keep this aspect of the word out of one's mind at the very point
where Greek aggression against another race is in question.  (On V's use
of 'focalisation' there is much interesting material in RF Thomas 'V and
the Augustan Reception' (Cambridge 01); nothing about this passage, I
think.) - Martin Hughes