-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of David
Wilson-Okamura
Sent: Monday, August 05, 2002 2:03 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: VIRGIL: naming conventions

This should be an easy question, but it is one that I don't know the answer
to, and as it has been a quiet summer on the Virgil list, I hope no one
will mind. When, and why, did we stop calling Virgil by his cognomen, Maro?
(Extra points for anyone who can explain why "Tully," a gentilicium or
family-name, is often preferred to "Cicero" in the Renaissance.)

One note for new subscribers: not everything we talk about on the Virgil
list is this obscure. If you'd like to talk about something more literary,
don't hesitate to start a new thread, either by posing a question or making
an observation. Do change the subject header, though: there are over 700
subscribers on this mailing list, and I can pretty much guarantee you that
a lot of them are going to delete anything labeled "naming conventions" on
sight without reading any further.