I agree with much of J O'H's comments, though I'd have preferred
'conditionally' to 'loosely' argued.  I did mark some propositions with an
IF.  I was not asking 'Why might we take an anti-Augustan view?' as 'What
if we did take that view?'
1. On a prelim. point, it may not be strange to think that some people
make the inference from the impressiveness of a text or work of art to the
its (at least partial) truth - thinking along the lines of Keats' 'Beauty
is truth'.
2. Without question, people may change their minds about religious and
political ideas, causes and leaders: my biggest IF certainly comes at
this point. I admit that I was starting from Gibbon's 1770 version of
anti-Augustanism - a seminal text of American independence?!?  V was,
in G's view as I recall it, speaking steadfastly to and for a persisting
(defeated and resentful, but still there) Republican majority.
3. G's line of thought implies a Republican, non-messianic reading of
the Fourth Eclogue and then, via the implication that any monarchic
usurpation was polluting sacrilege, a rejection not just of the regime but
of Rome.
4. Other anti-Augustans may certainly vary G's premise, though they must
stay 'anti' in some significant sense. They may see the Fourth Eclogue as
as much more ironical than it overtly seems, or as a youthful hope
abandoned in the light of bitter Augustan experience.  Again, they may
interpret anti-Augustanism less in terms of being in the camp of the
defeated and resentful and more in terms of general, disappointment and
disillusion.
5. On any view (maybe I shouldnt' say that) the Fourth Eclogue is a strong
religious statement about a better world - overtly at least.  It is linked
to Rome and to the Republic by prominent mention of Pollio's consular
office.
6. The variations on G's theme may not make that much difference, at
least so long as they deny V any way of reaffirming or reformulating the
optimism of the Prophecy. If V was generally disillusioned then his
disillusion applies to the optimism of the Prophecy and its evident
belief that Rome had a historic mission beyond that of what he later
called the peritura regna.  However one refashions the idea of his
rejection of or disillusion with the regime it keeps on turning into
rejection of or disillusion not just with the regime but with Rome, the
real Rome, itself. Then it is somewhat hard to resist the idea that V
calls on us to re-found Rome, when we have found a way to make its
violated ideals real, at a distance of space and time.
7. Ovason's 'Secret Architecture' seems quite persuasive on the subject of
the V associations with the reverse side of the United States Seal, and
of the one-dollar bill. The two Latin phrases 'Annuit coeptis' and 'novus
ordo seclorum' are both allusions to V, the second to the Prophecy, which
suggests that V was taken very seriously.  V himself might have been
interested in the use of his words in the context of an occult-seeming,
quasi-Egyptian pyramid/eye symbol. - Martin Hughes