Virgil often refers to shepherds etc. playing pipes, straws, reeds and so on
and these were, presumably, instruments similar to modern penny whistles -
easily made, and with six holes (usually).

Can anyone suggest the best way of finding out what the music these
shepherds played might have sounded like?  I ask partly because I heard
someone on the radio today playing a Stone Age bone whistle and it made a
very acceptable sound.

Patrick Roper