From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 2:53 PM
To: mantovano@virgil.org
Subject: VIRGIL: Re: Illustrations of the Fourth Eclogue in Renaissance art?

Emma,
Congratulations on the completion of your dissertation! I'd very much like
know if you found many illustrations of the Fourth Eclogue in Renaissance
art.
Although some have found the coloured sheep silly, I have always liked them.

Depictions of the Fourth Eclogue seem to me to be rare, at least in the
illustrated editions of Virgil I know, where I have only seen a few
representations of a mother and child. It would be very pleasing to me if a
Renaissance artist depicted those sheep!.

Best wishes,
Peter Dennistoun Bryant
Perth
Australia

P.S. I am very glad that David and the Mantovani are still extant: I enjoyed

the discussion on Erichtho, and Leofranc Holford-Strevens' contribution in
particular.Having mentioned him I can heartily recommend his eruditely
entertaining "The Oxford Book of Days" which I have only just acquired.