> Aeneas uses the deer hunt to steady his nerves and reassert some
> feeling of being in control after the storm, which had brought
> him near death both from the waves and from the depression or
> despair that is never too far from him.  Hunting is an
> expression, rather therapeutic in effect, of human control over
> nature.  But hunting, because it is a display of power, is also a
> possible occasion of discord, even an opportunity for
> ruthlessness.

I agree but what Aeneas did in the passage in question is more of a 'turkey
shoot' than a hunt.  No skill in tracking or stalking was involved: the deer
simply presented themselves and allowed themselves to be shot.  I suppose a
subtext is that the deer were made available for Aeneas and his men by a
divine hand.

Is there possibly some allusion to the Venus and Adonis story here to where
V dresses like Diana and chases deer and things in order to get closer to A?

Patrick Roper