From: "David Wilson-Okamura" <david@virgil.org>
To: mantovano@virgil.org
Subject: VIRGIL: cheap Latin Virgil: is there anything in print?
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 09:38:36 -0400

As I explained several weeks ago, a couple of us at my university are
teaching a course on Virgil in translation next semester and thought it
might work to assign a facing-page translation, i.e., the Loeb. Trouble is,
even the revised Loeb is still too stiff sounding.

I've abandoned the Loeb idea, but I'd still like for students to have the
Latin text ready at hand, both while they're reading and while we're
discussing it in class. This will give our classicists a chance to use their
Latin for literary analysis and perhaps entice some our non-classicists to
start learning the language.

One solution would be to require everyone in the class to buy the OCT, in
addition to whichever translations we assign. But for the non-classicists in
the bunch, that is going to seem unreasonable: why should I be required to
purchase a $35 book that's written in a language I can't read?

My question then: does anyone know of another Latin text of Virgil that's in
print and cheaper than the OCT?