[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Caris Amicis:  My AP Vergil class has found a line from Bk II, 763, that we
> cannot fit into dactylic hexameter.
>
> It reads:                    praedam adservabant.  Huc undique Troia gaza

Any advice?

Remember that vowel + final m is elided before initial vowel or h, and that
Troia here is an adjective and not a noun: the line scans (| = division between
feet, || caesura)

prae-d(am)ad|ser-va|bant. || huc | un-di-que | Tro-i-a | ga-za

spondee, spondee, spondee, dactyl, dactyl, and final spondee with short
syllable in place of long.

Leofranc Holford-Strevens