This is a MapHist list message (when you hit 'reply' you're replying to the
whole list)
o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o +

Here¹s a relevant excerpt from a description I wrote for a bird¹s-eye view
by John Fowler, with the references I used.  Full description at
http://www.georgeglazer.com/archives/prints/vista/shenandoah.html :

³With the growth of railroads and the western expansion that occurred after
the Civil War, towns commissioned such views to promote settlement, attract
businesses, and foster civic pride.  In an era before aviation, the creation
of these panoramas was an act of imagination, combining information from
city maps, ground-level sketches of buildings and the rules of Renaissance
perspective into a convincing aerial view.  Indeed, the hand-drawn view died
out between 1910 and 1925 partly because aerial photography supplanted the
need for these specialized skills.  Itinerant artists like Fowler typically
exhibited their final drawings to the public prior before reproducing them
as lithographic prints to both insure accuracy and attract advance orders
and sponsorships from advertisers to have their buildings featured in
vignettes and legends on the map.²

Hébert, John R., ed., rev. by Patrick E. Dempsey.  Panoramic Maps of Cities
in the United States and Canada.  2nd ed. Washington, D.C.: Library of
Congress, 1984.  pp. 5-8.

Wise, Donald A. ³Bird¹s-Eye Views of Oklahoma Towns.² Originally published
in The Chronicles of Oklahoma, vol. 67, no. 3 (Fall 1989): 228- 247.  Online
Compilation of Historical Documents by Don Wise.  4 June 1998.
http://home.earthlink.net/~dawise/view.htm (7 December 2004).

ø ø ø ø ø ø ø ø ø ø ø ø ø ø ø ø ø
Helen Glazer, Creative Director
George Glazer Gallery
http://www.georgeglazer.com
Antique Globes, Maps & Prints
ø ø ø ø ø ø ø ø ø ø ø ø ø ø ø ø ø

This is a MapHist list message (when you hit 'reply' you're replying to the
whole list)
o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o +

Dear subscribers MapHist,

I enclose a message from Museum-L in respect to historical maps.

I trust this information is sufficient for your purposes, in case you
require any additional details, please do not hesitate to contact the
undersigned.

Yours sincerely,
Cordiali Saluti

Marzio Veneman