This is a MapHist list message (when you hit 'reply' you're replying to the
whole list)
o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o +

We have three vintage wine maps (pun intended) by the illustrator Remy
Hetreau of French winemaking regions c. 1930s on our site:
http://www.georgeglazer.com/maps/europe/france-wine.html

Decorative colorful maps of the Alsace, Loire Valley and Provence vineyard
regions of France with emblems and symbols in background. These posters of
the wine growing regions within France were made in an attempt to advertise
and promote tourism and boost the wine selling industry as a whole.

One of these maps was featured in the book about maps ŒYou Are Here¹ by
Katherine Harmon that came out six years ago.

And we also have another French wine map in a more straightforward style
from 1942 that is quite large (47 x 17 inches):
http://www.georgeglazer.com/archives/maps/archive-europe/burgundywine.html

Large vertical oblong wall map of the French Burgundy wine region
surrounding the city of Beaune, known as the gold coast of wine growing.
Wine estates shown. Appellations and wine classes indicated. Issued as
advertisement for Pierre Ponnelle, wine sellers.

À votre santé,
Helen

ø ø ø ø ø ø ø ø ø ø ø ø ø ø ø ø ø
Helen Glazer, Creative Director
George Glazer Gallery
http://www.georgeglazer.com
Antique Globes, Maps & Prints
ø ø ø ø ø ø ø ø ø ø ø ø ø ø ø ø ø

On 6/19/10 11:15 AM, "J. B. Post" <jbpo...@verizon.net> wrote:

> This is a MapHist list message (when you hit 'reply' you're replying to the
> whole list)
> o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o +
>

>    In our area, we get parts of the Sunday newspaper on Saturday and one of
> those parts is the comic pages.  In tomorrow's (Sunday's) "Family Circus" is a
> map.  There have been other maps in that strip in the past.  Well, I would
> consider them maps.  It is possible that tomorrow (Sunday) this strip might
> appear on the website www.arcamax.com <http://www.arcamax.com>  for viewing.
> The comic synidcates very jealously protect copyright as they see it so it may
> not be possible to pass such things around.
>
>    Many comic strips have had maps over the years, though such things may be
> more the subject area of maps in popular culture than the history of
> cartography.  I have seen them in "L'il Abner" (though often more views), "The
> Phantom," "Superman" (location of Metropolis), "Flash Gordon," "Buck Rogers,"
> and so on.
>
>    <amazon.com> is selling a variety of wine maps & atlases.  Again, these may
> be more appropriate to the field of popular culture, particularly maps on wine
> labels, but viticultural cartography does have a historic component reaching
> back to vineyards depicted on medieval estate maps.
>
>            JBP

> Maphist mailing list
> Maphist@geo.uu.nl

Maphist mailing list