This is a MapHist list message (when you hit 'reply' you're replying to the
whole list)
o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o +

Hello,

I am looking for information regarding the erroneous placement of Lake Michigan
in some of John Melish's early maps showing Indiana.  Indiana was the first of
his short lived individual maps of the states, done in 1817.  This 1817 map
shows Lake Michigan in the middle of the northern boundary of the state.  He
improved the map in 1819 and places Lake Michigan in the correct north-western
corner of the state. Both of these maps show that the surveys were furnished by
Burr Bradley, perhaps the error was his?  I cannot find any literature about
this correction and what led to him misplacing the lake in his earlier map.
Does anyone know of an article that discusses this?  If not I am also curious
to hear your theories.

The 1817 Map of Indiana was not the first or only time he had made this
mistake.  I also have an 1813 Melish map of the U.S., found in the front of his
1815 Traveller's Directory,  which shows Lake Michigan dipping  into Indiana
right down the middle of the state.

Thank you in advance

Monique

Monique Howell