This is a MapHist list message (when you hit 'reply' you're replying to the
whole list)
o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o +

I agree with what has been stressed by Ben concerning the multiple way to
interpret and investigate this documents.
I am one of the people involved in this matter who participated in a meeting
organized by Tierry Secretan in Washington at the National Geographic Society
and the Library of Congress in february  2009 (Ben was among us, of course).

I, and all of us, will be very interested in reading the Gunnar's book but I
don't see in his message any reference to paleography and language. The
documents were inspected from this point of view by Franca and Armando Petrucci
who kindly accepted to have a look at the documents (in photographic
reproduction, of course) which were supplied by myself in Pisa in March 2009. A
part from the necessity to see the original, the Petruccis stated that they
were copies of the XIX-XX centuries with some doubt just for one of them. At
the same conclusion arrived  Prof. Angela Caracciolo of the University of
Venice from a linguistic point of view.

For that reason the (I dare call) "commission" stopped working in spite of my
observations that whilst the documents might not be original they might have
been copy from authentic ancient documents and some evidences from the
construction of the drawings (which is one of my field of study) convinced me
about that possibility.

W'll read Gunnar's book with great interest and attention.

vladimiro

Maphist mailing list
Maphist@geo.uu.nl