From: Humphrey Southall <humphrey.south...@port.ac.uk>
To: Discussion group for map history <maphist@geo.uu.nl>
Sent: Thursday, 1 December 2011, 8:32
Subject: Re: [MapHist] Looking for articles or books about the history of
gazetteers and itineraries as a form of writing

This is a MapHist list message (when you hit 'reply' you're replying to the
whole list)
o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o +

I am very involved in current work with semantic gazetteers, and have also
worked fairly extensively with British 19th century gazetteers; I have
integrated four of them, with around 90,000 entries into the Great Britain
Historical GIS, and so into our web site A Vision of Britain through Time. See:

  http://www.euppublishing.com/doi/abs/10.3366/ijhac.2011.0028

This is very much about trying to link current work to enrich gazetteers with
the earlier building of descriptive gazetteers. So is there anywhere I can read
about "gazetteer-writing in India and for the adjacent countries in the
nineteenth and early twentieth centuries", because I very much want to!

I am working with people familiar with a very much earlier Chinese tradition of
gazetteer writing.

Thanks,

Humphrey Southall