This is a MapHist list message.
This list will close soon. Please continue the discussions at the MapHist
Forum: http://www.maphist.nl/forum
o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o +

John Day writes:

The advantage of a listserv is it requires little or no effort tomonitor and no
more effort to participate (writing a contribution isthe same in both cases.)
A forum requires effort to monitor andthe way this one is constructed n times
the effort since one has tomonitor multiple threads.

With a listserv, I can watch the subject lines go by and decidemy level of
interest.

To point out the obvious: Subscribe to the forums you want to follow.
Notifications will arrive in your in-box for you to watch the subjects lines go
by and decide your level of interest.

Regards,
— daan Strebe

This list will close soon. Please continue the discussions at the MapHist
Forum:
http://www.maphist.nl/forum
o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o +

This assumes that the level of "desire" isconstant.

The advantage of a listserv is it requires little or no effort tomonitor and no
more effort to participate (writing a contribution isthe same in both cases.)
A forum requires effort to monitor andthe way this one is constructed n times
the effort since one has tomonitor multiple threads.

With a listserv, I can watch the subject lines go by and decidemy level of
interest.

As I pointed out before, the people who construct and maintainthe Net do not
sue forums.

However, we all know that none of these considerations haveanything to do with
the decision.

This is a MapHist list message.
This list will close soon. Please continue the discussions at theMapHist Forum:
http://www.maphist.nl/forum
o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o+ o +

That's quite funny,

> the only complaints I have got sofar were out of laziness of the user.

The advantage of "listserv" isthat it requires the absolute minimum of time and
effort by thereaders and writers to maintain a high-level of participation.
Thedisadvantage of it is that it requires more an more effort on theirpart to
maintain a fractionally smaller level ofparticpation.

The advantage of "forum" isthat it requires the absolute minimum of time and
effort by thereaders and writers to maintain the lowest level of participation.
Thedisadvantage of it is that it requires more and more effort on theirpart to
maintain a fractionally higher level ofparticipation.

I think that is why we find the communitysplit on preference of "listserv"
versus "forum".Those who aspire to a higher fractional involvement under the
presentsystem bemoan the move to "forum" because that will requiremore effort
on their part to achieve or maintain. (To call them lazyis ludicrous).

Those who aspire to a fractionaly lowerinvolvement under the present system
(who want to avoid certaintopics, discussions, etc.) welcome the move to"forum."

Cheers,
Terry

On 12-01-04, Peter van der Krogt<pe...@vanderkrogt.net> wrote:

This is a MapHist list message.
This list will close soon. Please continue the discussions at theMapHist Forum:
http://www.maphist.nl/forum
o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o+ o +

Just read the last remark in the topic I sent a minute ago

"I am currently moving a Google Group over to a phpBB system, sofar it is going
great, and the only complaints I have got so far wereout of laziness of the
user."

also from
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=600139

Peter

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Dr Peter van der Krogt
Map Historian, Explokart Research Program
Faculty of Geo-sciences, University of Utrecht
P.O. Box 80.115
3508 TC  UTRECHT, The Netherlands
e-mail: p.c.j.vanderkr...@uu.nl
Homepage: <http://cartography.geo.uu.nl/vanderkrogt>
MapHist: <http://www.maphist.nl>
Private websites: <http://www.vanderkrogt.net>

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYY PER ANGUSTA AD AUGUSTA YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Maphist mailing list
Maphist@geo.uu.nl

Maphist mailing list
Maphist@geo.uu.nl