This is a MapHist list message.
This list will close soon. Please continue the discussions at the MapHist
Forum: http://www.maphist.nl/forum
o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o +

The Economist's cartogram with the observers about to fall from a crumbling
cliff echoes a famous story from Greek history concerning the women of
Souli. Here is the story from Wikipedia:

"During the Souliote
War<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Souliote_War_%281803%29>in December
1803, the Souliotes began evacuating Souli after their defeat
by the forces of the local Ottoman-Albanian ruler, Ali
Pasha<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Pasha>
.[3] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dance_of_Zalongo#cite_note-2> During the
evacuation, a small group of Souliot women and their children were trapped
by Ali's troops in the mountains of
Zalongo<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zalongo>in
Epirus
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epirus>.[4]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dance_of_Zalongo#cite_note-3>In
order to avoid capture and enslavement, the women threw first their
children and then themselves off a steep cliff, committing
suicide.[5]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dance_of_Zalongo#cite_note-4>According
to the legend, they jumped down the precipice one after the other.
[6] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dance_of_Zalongo#cite_note-5> while
singing and dancing."

Will the story be repeated, with the E.U. technocrats replacing the troops
of Ali Pasha and the Greeks choosing economic suicide rather than submit?

>   http://www.economist.com/node/21542824
>
> The image of the map of Greece and its islands as a fraying, crumbling
> cliff edge has become popular forobvious reasons sinnce 2007 - recent
> version in The Economist, URL above.  This one also makes Italy and even
> Spain appear to crumble too.  But was this image used before, perhaps in
> earlier economic crises?  What other maps have been used as crumbling cliff
> edges?  Turn the UK upside down and the N W of Scotland could be used this
> way, maybe the Canadian Arctic archipelago,or southern Chile.  And cities
> if we map all the peri-urban areas at a fine enough resolution also have
> faryed edges, although cities can look more like high magnification photos
> of metastasising cancer cells.
>
>  Dr Hillary Shaw
> School of Business, Management and Marketing
> Harper Adams University College
> Newport
> Shropshire
> TF10 8NB