I'm looking for any scripts/extensions/software/techniques
which can be used on/with Mapinfo/VM to aid in the creating of
statistically robust thresholds for density/interpolated grids.
What I'm researching more precisely is crime data, and how to apply
thresholds for the defining of a crime hotspot.
    The original data is point data, which I create grids from, using
the different techniques available in Mapinfo/VM. The question comes
then to how applicable the different values are to setting a
statistically threshold, and how to do this.
    Good rules of thumb would be welcome, but also autocorrelation
statistics, or LISA statistics, such as Gi and Gi*, or Morans's i.
     Help would be most appreciated, as I am seeking to research how
well Mapinfo/VM and ArcView Spatial Analyst are suited to perform
this task, the results being advice to police cartographers on
possible steps to follow.

       Svein Reid, Msc GIS, University of Edinburgh.