WARNING : there are inconsistencies in the version numbering of MI ancillary
files. I have just become aware of it while writing a function that
identifies the language of MI menus. Here is a comparison of headers and
sizes for the last four more significant versions.

When should a new file reflect that it is a new version?

I find MI practice in this field rather "loose" and potentially misleading.

Version 4.12
Mapinfow.mnu    '** MapInfo version 4.0 menu and buttonpad defintions (27315 b)
menu.def                ' MapInfo version 4.0 - Menu Item Definitions (13467 b)

Version 4.5
Mapinfow.mnu    '** MapInfo version 4.0 menu and buttonpad defintions (27816
b)
menu.def                ' MapInfo version 4.0 - Menu Item Definitions (13557 b)

Version 5.0
Mapinfow.mnu    '** MapInfo version 4.0 menu and buttonpad defintions (30012 b)
menu.def                ' MapInfo version 5.0 - Menu Item Definitions (14008 b)

Version 5.5
Mapinfow.mnu    '** MapInfo version 4.0 menu and buttonpad defintions (32075
b)
menu.def                ' MapInfo version 5.0 - Menu Item Definitions (14008 b)

Jacques Paris
e-mail        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   alternate   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

gis activity (MapInfo mainly)