                From:   Serge Bedard [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
                Sent:   Monday, July 26, 1999 2:50 PM
                To:     'MapInfo-L'
                Subject:        MI Problem with ColumnName statement

                Hi all,
                I encountered a problem with the second parameter of the
ColumnInfo
                statement :
                I want to find the name of a column from its number. To do
so, I pass the
                column number as second parameter (instead of the column
name) as indicated
                in the documentation. That's where the problem arises; when
I pass the
                column number as shown in the code below, it gives an error
message : "Field
                Coli does not exists in table..."
                I tried many other ways to write it ("Col"i, Coli) wtihout
success.
                I also tried to issue a Run Command statement but it would
give an
                "Unrecognized command : ColumnName" error message.

                Any idea/suggestion/workaround?

                Thanks in advance

                Dim WinNum as integer
                        Dim WinId as integer
                        Dim MapNb as integer
                        Dim LayerNb as integer
                        Dim LayerNum as integer
                        Dim TableName as string
                        Dim ColNb as smallint
                        Dim i as smallint
                        Dim ColumnName() as string

                                For WinNum = 1 to MapNb
                                        WinId = WindowID(WinNum)
                                        LayerNb = MapperInfo(WinId,
MAPPER_INFO_LAYERS)
                                        For LayerNum = 1 to LayerNb
                                                TableName = LayerInfo(WinId,
LayerNum,
                LAYER_INFO_NAME)
                                                ColNb = TableInfo(TableName,
TAB_INFO_NCOLS)
                                                ReDim ColumnName(ColNb)
                                                For i = 1 to ColNb
                                                        ColumnName(i) =
                ColumnInfo(TableName, "coli", COL_INFO_NAME)
                                                Next
                                        Next
                                Next

                Serge Bedard