Using MapInfo Pro 5.0, I could execute the MapBasic statement:

SERVER i LINK TABLE "select REAL_SMA_CODE, OBJECT from HAIL_DETAIL" INTO
hail_detail File "c:\test"

where "i" is my ODBC link to an Oracle database.

The table HAIL_DETAIL has been cataloged, so it is mappable within MapInfo.
This works fine in MapInfo 5.0.

When I upgraded to MapInfo 5.5, I now get the Oracle error: Invalid Column
Name.

If I remove the OBJECT field from the above query, it works. But it isn't
mappable then.

Yet, if I open the table using the "Open ODBC table" from the File menu in
MapInfo, the query works (selecting the OBJECT field from the list of fields
displayed for the table).

Has the OBJECT field changed in different version of MapInfo?

Any help is appreciated.