The Institutional Characteristics data file contains data for all
postsecondary institutions in the 50 states, District of Columbia, and
outlying areas. This data file is the
universe base for all of the 1996 Integrated Postsecondary Education
Data System surveys. You can download it from
http://nces.ed.gov/Ipeds/ic9697/.  I don't think it has long lat but it
would be easy enough to match it to a zip code point layer.  I've
started to do that for a subset of the whole thing and it required very
little data cleanup (I think chopping 9 digit zips was all I had to do).

Dan Ryan
Mills College
Oakland, CA