Your choice of package (as ever) depends upon hat precisely you wish to
achieve.  Virtual Frontier will give you a real-time solution, whereas
GenesisII focuses on obtaining the most photorealistic image it can but
takes longer to produce (usually from 30 seconds to several minutes
depending on fractal detail and vegetation).

One interesting aspect of GenesisII is that we publish a development SDK
which gives you full access to all of G2's internal data structures and
functions.  Although at the moment we simply provide a (free) generic
MapInfo interface, the system is open to extension to fit your own precise
needs.

We've also been providing free upgrades since launch and expect this to
continue for another 12 months at least.  Development continues apace and in
the past 9 months we've added (just some highlights) the best atmospheric
model available in a package of this type, the full sdk and plugin
interfaces, and 3D vegetation support (extensable to use any LSystem model).
Much else is planned - we have a very exciting method for simply generating
cityscape images under development at the moment.

Kevin

> I'm attempting to investigate different 3D visualization packages,
including
> Virtual Frontier and GenesisII.
> I seem to remember a thread about a month and a half ago that may have
> mentioned something called VROOM, but I'm not sure.  Does anyone have any
> info/comments on this or any other package(s) to try out?
> TIA, will sum

Kevin Woolley

*         Geomantics          *                                     *
*   Landscape Visualization   *  O chì, chì mi na mórbheanna        *
*   - Software & Services -   *  O chì, chì mo na córrbheanna       *
*  http://www.geomantics.com  *  O chì, chì mi na coireachan        *
* email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  *  Chi mi na sgoran fo cheò           *
*  Tel & Fax: 01877 384378    *   - John Cameron, Ballachulish 1856 *