Hello Laura,

> Can somone point me in the right direction?  I'm looking for a Web site
> that can provide the Lat/long for world cities.

I wasn't too sure if you're specifically looking for a web service or a site to
download data from the
web to use with MapInfo.

The places data on the MI Pro CD-ROM (DCW based I think) is not too bad although it
has many
significant places missing and has no field indicating level of importance.

If you're looking for a commercial product, take a look at Europa Technologies data
sets. Global
Insight is one of the largest place gazetteers available which has an intermatching
up-to-date
political map. Names include accented characters (using ANSI fonts like Arial, Times
Roman on
Windows) and feature local and alternative names (English, second national languages,
long/short form). So, whether you're searching for Rome/Roma or Helsinki/Helsingfors,
you'll find
the location successfully.

Full details, map images and sample to download at http://www.europa-tech.com

There are plenty of web based services around but watch out for accuracy. Many of the
sites
featuring large gazetteers only have accuracy to the nearest degree or minute. For
anything other
than a basic find, this may not be sufficient positional accuracy.

Feel free to e-mail if you have any questions.

Regards,
Warren Vick
Europa Technologies Ltd, U.K.
http://www.europa-tech.com