A Lesson in Communications Relativity . . .

Bob had finally made it to the last round
of the Regis Philbin's new show, "The
Million Dollar Question." The night before
the big question, he answered Regis that
he desired a question on American History.
The big night had arrived. Bob made his way
on stage in front of the studio and TV audience.
He had become the talk of the week. He was the
best guest this show had ever seen. Regis stepped
to his seat.

"Bob, you have chosen American History as your
final question. You know that if you correctly
answer this question, you will walk away
$1,000,000 dollars richer. Are you ready?"

Bob nodded with a cocky confidence-the crowd went nuts.
He hadn't missed a question all week. Hadn't even
needed help from the audience or his friends.
"Bob, your question on American History is a two-part
question. As you know, you may answer either
part first. As a rule, the second half of the
question is always easier. Which part would
you like to take a stab at first?"

Bob was now becoming more noticeably nervous.
He couldn't believe it, but he was drawing a blank.
American History was his easiest subject but he
played it safe.  "I'll try the easier part first."

Regis nodded approvingly but still needed to ask,
"Are you sure?" Bob said "Yes."

"That's your final choice, to ask the second
part of the question first?" asked Regis.
 "Yes" answered Bob.

"Here we go Bob. I will ask you the second
half first, then the first half of the
question second."

The audience silenced with gross anticipation......

"Bob, here is your question:
 And in what year did it happen??"

This date, September 17, in history ..

* 1787 - US constitution adopted by Philadelphia convention
* 1796 - Pres George Washington delivers his farewell address
* 1835 - Charles Darwin lands on Chatham Galapagos-archipelago
* 1859 - Man in SF claims himself Norton I, emperor of America

--

John H. Hoffmann

Personal
 E-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]