Use ODBC that works like a charm

Anton

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Thake, Peter
Sent: 27 September 1999 10:13
To: 'Yvonne Hau'
Cc: 'Mapinfo-L'
Subject: RE: MI-importing Access queries into MI

Hi Yvonne,

If you only want a snapshot of the database query results, you could make
the Access query a make table query then examine the table using ODBC from
Mapinfo (or a direct table link). Another 'easy' solution is to export the
results of the query as a text file or Excel file and import this into
Mapinfo.

If you need to run the query as and when required then I think you will have
to get involved in some programming: DDE could probably do it (though I
haven't tried this with Access). You could use DDE to execute the query
(make table) from MapBasic... Worst scenario is you will need to delve into
the Windows API or something heavy like that!

Don't think there is an easy way to do this automatically. I am pretty sure
that you can't open a query in Mapinfo since this is a SQL construct, not a
table of data. It returns data when run it but how you can grab this I do
not know. Anyone out there know?

Good luck!

Pete, Ordnance Survey, UK