Hello Bjorn,

> I have a MapMasic program which uses a table of 900000 records
> to update an Oracle table (many million records). The problem
> is it has to do 3 checks on the Oracle table for every record.
> My estimation is now that it is going to take me 10! days
> before it is finished.

If the 900K table is a MapInfo TAB, consider uploading it to Oracle before performing
your update
operations. It is possible that the richer SQL implementation may speed things up with
everything
within Oracle.

My general rule for optimising batch performance is to take a representative sample
(say 1000
records) and perform some analysis (using tools or perhaps just tweaking) to see what
makes a
difference. A 0.1 second saving will you a day by my linear reckoning.

Of course the thing not to do is spend 10 days think about it... :-)

Regards,
Warren Vick
Europa Technologies Ltd, U.K.
http://www.europa-tech.com