In the mbx SLOPESTI (slope estimator), I try to find out the value and the
direction of the slope at any specified point of a contour map. I use a "32
spoke wheel" that allows me to find out the nearest intersections with the
contour lines. Then I look for the shortest distance along the 16 directions
between intersection points.

There are several possible situations : a - both points are on successive
contour line (that is good, and computations can be carried out), b - they
are on the same contour line (something like in a trough, no answer; one
could imagine seeing if there is another pair on intersection points and
what would be its condition, I did not go that far.), c - there is only one
intersection point, the "wheel" not intersecting any other contour (due to
the the length of the spokes, and that could be changed, or the proximity to
the edge of the map; the single point can then be used as an approximation
in the computations).

Slopesti is available on our site.

Jacques Paris

e-mail                          alternate
     [EMAIL PROTECTED]                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

paris PC Consult (mainly MapInfo app.)
     www.total.net/~rparis/gisproducts.htm