Drew,

I had a similar problem where I wanted the first unit below overburden from
drill hole logs.  With your data I would Query Select records where
Formation = R and save the selection to a table.  Then I would do an SQL
where Boring = Boring (from the original and the new table) and Top from
your new table = Bottom from your original table, to a selection.  I would
save this selection as a third table which I believe would be what you
seek.

Doubtless there is a more elegant way, which I would be happy to learn.

Regards Brendan O'Donovan
Senior Geologist, Tara Mines Exploration Department,
Ireland.