Here is a summary of all replies.  Sorry for the delay.

ORIGNAL MESSAGE:

I was speaking with the U.S.Postal Service (USPS) Historian, an apparently
likely resource for "ancient" information such as 1980 zipcodes.  She has had a
tough time selling the idea of keeping old records, such as 1980 zipcodes, to
her management.  I said that the USPS could possibly sell this information, and
the USPS costs would be minimal.  Something like a web/ftp site where you give
them your VISA number and they'll email/ftp  you the file.

(After all, how much space could a tab-text file with several columns take. They
could have a single file with column One containing zipcodes (all numbers 00000
to 99999), and 2 columns for lat/longs every five or ten years (1970lat,
1970long; 1980lat, 1980long; 1990lat, 1990long; etc.).)

I told her I'd post a message on the list to ask if anyone would be interested
in such a file and, aside from free, if it could be sold and for how much.  I
said that the USPS would need to recognize that zipcodes are more than just
things to make delivery of the mail easier for the USPS.    I think this woman's
ability to sell this idea to her management "may" depend on whether the data
could be sold, at least to cover costs.  I think she needs help to bolster a
position.

If you could send me your responses, I will forward them to the USPS Historian.