Colin,
I'm away from the computer where I have the original code to do this, but essentially the way I did it was this:

1)  Save your "splash" image as a TIF or JPEG (I used Adobe Photoshop to do this).  Open it (as an unregistered image file) into MapInfo to get your Tab file.

2)  In your MapBasic source code, use the time functions (Timer) to set a start time and a desired end time.  As an example, a sub might look like this:

Sub SPLASH
Dim TICK,TOCK as integer
TICK = Timer()
Open Table "C:\FSRED.tab" as FSRED
Map from FSRED
Set Window FrontWindow() Max
While TOCK < 10
If TOCK > 5 then Close Table FSRED Exit Sub End If
TOCK = Timer() - TICK
Wend
End Sub

FSRED is your splash image.  This assumes that it will be the only window open when this runs.  Of course, when the sub ends, you obviously want the program to move onto the next sub, so you would insert "Call SUB_NAME" just prior to the Exit Sub.

Anyway, this probably ain't pretty, but it does work.  Please bear in mind that I'm self-taught in MapBasic, and tend to use a brute force approach more often than not.  I'm sure there are other MapBasic folks out there who have more eloquent approaches to this, and I hope you hear from them

Mike Jenne