I became curious about that "CREATE TEXT" behaviour and I tried to find the
conditions of use of that way to handle bigger text boxes. I found some
interesting things.

1 - in the MB command description, MI states that the text string should be
255 character long maxi. But if you enter a longer string in the text box
requester, it will be chopped down to 258 characters.

2 - text is stored in 254 character blocks; a string can be broken in blocks
joined by +  ("block 1"+"block2").

3 - the maximum number of "positions" acceptable by that statement in 500

4 - the number of usable characters is equal to 500 - the number of blocks
and - the number of format characters.

5 - format characters are essentially '\n' used within the text for a new
line ("bablabla\nboobooboo", or 'chr$(10)' used between blocks and +
("block1"+chr$(10)+"block2"). The first solution requires less 'usable
positions' than the second one.

These considerations apply to the use of that statement in MB programs, in
the MBWindow or in WOR.

Warning : if you create a text longer that the 'basic' 258 and if you decide
to activate the text box by a double click, the text will be chopped to down
to 258.

Conclusion : as the only formatting capability is a "new line" command, as
it requires lots of shaping up of the text like introducing "new lines",
breaking into blocks, managing the number of usable characters, as it is
relatively unstable, I do not find that using the create text is a
particularly effective solution in adding "general" text of a substantial
length from an outside source.

Jacques Paris

e-mail                alternate
     [EMAIL PROTECTED]   [EMAIL PROTECTED]