>My question is how do I reproduce this functionality using
>M_EDIT_PREFERENCES_PRINTER?  I think the suggestion was that I should be
>able to still use the Windowinfo() to detect what the user has set in
>M_EDIT_PREFERENCES_PRINTER and then go off and load the appropriate
layout,
>but I cant get this to work.  Mapinfo still seems to return the
orientation
>that has been set using page setup not the one set under Options/Printers.

As there are not MapBasic commands to access preferences, to detect what
settings will be applied to a new layout window, create one, off screen
if desired, detect its settings, and then close it back up:

  Layout Position (-100, -100)
  Print WindowInfo(FrontWindow(), WIN_INFO_PRINTER_NAME)
  Print WindowInfo(FrontWindow(), WIN_INFO_PRINTER_ORIENT)
  Print WindowInfo(FrontWindow(), WIN_INFO_PRINTER_COPIES)
  Print WindowInfo(FrontWindow(), WIN_INFO_PRINTER_PAPERSIZE)
  Print WindowInfo(FrontWindow(), WIN_INFO_PRINTER_LEFTMARGIN)
  Print WindowInfo(FrontWindow(), WIN_INFO_PRINTER_RIGHTMARGIN)
  Print WindowInfo(FrontWindow(), WIN_INFO_PRINTER_TOPMARGIN)
  Print WindowInfo(FrontWindow(), WIN_INFO_PRINTER_BOTTOMMARGIN)
  Close Window FrontWindow()