>I would like to create a tool which is used for drawing polylines and
>simultaneously display the distance covered(similar to ruler tool) while
>drawing. It is basically integration of polyline & ruler into one.

You may want to know that what you describe has already been done: twice.
First by Kiev Software Factory, along with many other features, in their
Enhanced Drawing Tools. Second by MapInfo Corp. in MapInfo Professional
version 5.5. If the ruler tool dialog is visible, then the distance is
display when using any of the drawing tools: total and subtotal for
polylines and polygons.