This was supposed to be fixed a long time ago.  We lost over $100K on a project for all of Florida when it was discovered after all of the processing work had been completed.  The problem is that MI sees the transparent pixels as the Windows background and spools until you run out of disk space.  There are some workarounds and our techies would be happy to discuss them with any interested parties.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, July 21, 2000 2:10 AM
Subject: Re: MI Still cannot print transparent images

Hi,

This is a terrible news if it is true. Transparent raster printing worked fine in MapInfo up to version 4.2 under Windows 3.X. After this when MapInfo passed to Windows95 and NT, it could not be used anymore to print out maps having a transparent raster layer. Indeed this function of turning a colour to transparent is essential if one wants to use black and white topo rasters to get a fine background (or lets say an overlay as this transparent layer is at the top of the over vector layers).

We used this function for all our forest management maps and hoped MapInfo would correct the bug. But as I hear now, MI 6.0 still cannot handle it. Can anybody confirm this please? It is essential for the future orientation of our mapping department. Thanks all.

Frank Wolter
Forestry Administration
G-Duchy of Luxembourg

kiva consullting wrote:

  I have tried just about everything.  I have unchecked internal raster handling in MI, processed my print document in the computer, and combinations of these items.  My 750C plus will now print a black and white image of the DRG when internal handling is unchecked AND processing is in done in the computer (Advanced options in HPGL).  I have contacted MapInfo and Hp - still nothing.  If anyone has any other suggestions - I'm all ears. In case you did not see my earlier note - I trimmed the edges of some DRG's and have made white transparent in order to build a composite TOPO background - it worked great, but I cannot print to my plotter.  Thanks again, Shawn VickersKiva Consulting[EMAIL PROTECTED]