Thanks to all who gave me some hints. Here is my original query and the
summary I reconstituted:

>>>I would like to run a dos program from within MI by using the RUN PROGRAM
statement.
>>>With my 5.5, it works well, like a meteor! I just get a glance to the dos
window and
>>>bye bye. Is there a way to keep the dos window open in order to have a
look at the
>>>output? Or to redirect the output to a text file like in the manual
example?

To keep the dos shell window open, there is only one way:
1>>Create a DOS batch file with the appropriate dos program call
2>>Then use the Run command to execute the batch file.

If you want to redirect the output to your favourite file, you must also do
it be way of the bat file.

Incidentally, it was a long time since I have not used a bat file. For those
who were born UW, it is a simple text file with a .bat that you can prepare
with notepad (no need to use a dos editor). It would look like
...\prog_dos.exe  {any parameter, filename, etc. as required by the program}
If you want to redirect the output to a text file then the first line should
read

                ...\prog_dos.exe  {  }   >  ...\any_file.txt

Jacques PARIS

e-mail    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For MapInfo support, see the Paris PC Consult enr. site  at
http://www.total.net/~rparis/gisproducts.htm