Hi all,

We're about to get involved in a project that is giving me ulcers just
thinking about it, and I was hoping some of you might have some
experience or advice to share that might abate my acid reflux.

We're working with a client who needs to do address-level geocoding on a
world-wide basis.  Right now they're interested in just a handful of
countries, but that list is likely to grow.  As far as I know, there is
no single solution for international geocoding.  MapInfo has a MapMarker
version for just a few countries.  Beyond that, there seems to be street
data available at a price for many countries.

What I'm wondering is if anyone knows of any International geocoders or
can share their experiences with working with International street data
for geocoding.  What countries have good data?  What countries have bad
data?  What are the pitfalls with working with other countries' address
information (i.e., address formats, etc.,) in either MapInfo
Professional or (better yet) MapX?  My only real experience has been
with the US version of MapMarker and performing geocoding with MapX and
StreetPro EAL.

We envision creating a single interface that will accept an address,
determine what country the address is for, and based upon that, utilize
either that country's version of MapMarker (or other available geocoder)
or, where that is not available, use MapX and street data for that
country to perform the geocode.  I'm sure you can understand my
stomach's response to this.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, and, of course, summarized
back to the list.

Thanks,
Gary.