>We are trying to create out own address layer from based on some
>raw linework data provided by the Michigan Information Center.
>After some further experimentation, it seems that the built-in
>MapInfo Geocoding function/algorithm operates as follows.
>
>1.  It takes the middle node of a given line segment (irrespective
>of its location along the segment) and assigns it to the middle
>point of the address range (tested both 100 and 200 addresses per
>segment).
>
>2.  It then calculates the distance between this middle node and
>each end (these distances are not necessarily the same length).
>
>3.  Each address is then distributed as a multiple of each "half-
>segment" length with a decreasing distance towards the end points.
>
>4.  The decreasing distance towards the end points is to ensure
>that address 1 (for example) doesn't fall in the middle of an
>intersecting road.  For cities, this works relatively well as the
>offset from the end of the block ranges from 15ft for a 100ft road
>segment to 140 feet for a 500ft segment.  However, in rural areas
>(most of our county) where intersections are typically every mile,
>the offsets end up being around 800ft. and corner houses are missed
>entirely.
>
>Can anyone confirm my findings from their own experience?
>Is there a way around this problem in MapInfo Pro 5.5 or 6.0?
>Is there an add-on that has a more robust location finding algorithm
>based on the entire length of the segment irrespective of node
>placement?

1. MapInfo Professional, previous to version 6.0, geocoded along
   a polyline as though all segments were the same length. This
   was improved in version 6.0 to take the exact length of each
   segment into account.

2. MapInfo Professional, previous to version 6.0, also geocoded a
   fixed percentage in from intersections and out to the side of
   the street center line. This was enhanced in version 6.0 to
   accept user fixed distances or percentages.

3. You threw me off at first with your usage of segment and node.
   In MapInfo Professional, a segment is that section of a line
   between nodes. A linear object with more than two nodes is a
   polyline.

4. A separate product, MapMarker, has far more sophisticated
   algorithms for address matching.