GPurnomo wrote:
> Could you kindly share any info on these two version - what was the
> difference(s)? Any significant enhancements?
> We are still using MapInfo 5.0 - Can we use mbx program created in the
> latest version with the earlier MapInfo, for example: mbx made in 5.5 to be
> used in MI 5.0?

Hi Gatot!
The policy of MI Corporation is to release MI Pro and MB versions
hand-in-hand. This is to enable programmers to use the new functions of
each release in programming.
If you do not want to do this, it is perfectly all right to continue
programming in v 4 and run the code in MI v5, 5.5 and so on.
But because code that have been compiled in MB v5 may contain functions
not available in MI v4, MapInfo checks the version stamp of the MBX and
refuses to run an MBX with a higher version than itself.
So to conclude: If you need the new v5 or 6 functions you must upgrade
your MapBasic but at the same time, you must be aware that older MI
versions will not be able to run your programs.

Search the archives of this list for a number of tips to circumcise this
problem, it is possible to alter the MBX header but you must be sure to
NOT use the newest functions for this to work.
Another solution is to keep copies of the old compiler - the manuals
describe how to use the compiler from the command line.

It must also be said that apart from the version upgrades, absolutely
nothing has been changed in the programming environment - it is still
very simple to say the least.
What we would need are for example template constructs, codeword
coloring, realtime syntax check, visual dialog creation etc all of which
are common in programming tools of today. But I doubt it will ever
happen.

Regards, Mats.E