If you want some in-depth info on GML, I would recommend OGC's site,
specifically: http://www.opengis.org/techno/specs/00-029/GML.html

My opinion is that we should at the very least care as interested
participants in the world of GIS. The quest for GIS standards, though by
no means easy, is laudable and deserves the support of those of us who,
though fond of Mapinfo, see it as only part of a bigger picture.

GML seems to offer functionality as both an interchange format and the
potential to really streamline webmapping.

My 2 cents.

Kurt Ackermann
Regional Science Institute
Sapporo, Japan