Our version of MapInfo 5.5 has a drop box with various NORTH symbols in the
symbols preferences. I made several maps using one that said NORTH with an
elongated wedge above it pointing upward/north. When I saved the finished
products via Save Window as windows metafiles the maps were fine, except
that the north  symbols saved as hatch marks, or hash marks as most people
insist on calling them. Can anyone suggest why this would happen?

Bob Hudson
Archaeology Department,
University of Sydney.