Thanks to Stan Johnston and others for helping solve this problem- though
how it has been solved is still a mystery
Our office version of MapInfo 5.5 has a drop box with various NORTH symbols
in the
symbols preferences. I made several maps using one that said NORTH with an
elongated wedge above it pointing upward/north. When I saved the finished
products as windows metafiles the maps were fine, except
that the north  symbols displayed on my home computer as hatch marks, or
hash marks as most people
insist on calling them. It appears a windows metafile is more a file than a
picture in some ways, and wants to find fonts to display some symbols
properly. So I copied the MapInfo fonts into my home windows font
file- and the metafiles now display the north symbol. The only bit I don't
understand is that when out of curiosity I  opened the MapInfo font files I
transferred home, NONE of them appeared to contain that nifty NORTH symbol
with the wedge above it. Still, mustn't grumble :-)
Bob Hudson
Archaeology Department,
University of Sydney.