Hi,
I am writing a program to assist in maintaining Fire Hydrants for our Municipality.

The Concept:
The concept is that the Public Works foreman would go out with his handheld computing devise (loaded with MapInfo) call up the map with the fire hydrants and click on the one to be maintained.  All of the installation and maintenance records to date would pop up on the hand held and he would then be able to record the maintenance work being done on that hydrant.  That information would then be used to update the MS Access (master) database of fire hydrant information.

The Assumptions:
The Public Works people want to use a Compaq palm top running Windows CE with a wireless modem to a Citrix server running both MapInfo and MS Access.  The palmtop would run a thin Citrix client and all the processing would happen on the Citrix server.  When the person out in the field clicked on the hydrant, a MS Access form would pop up for that hydrant with check boxes that could be clicked to indicate the work being performed.

The Futures:
If this first phase was a success we would add:

  • Computer generated maintenance schedules;
  • Computer generated optimal routing;
  • etc.
The Questions:
  • Will this work?  If so, how?  How can MapInfo call MS Access?
  • Is there a better/easier way to do the same thing?
  • Could this be done in a browser over the internet instead of Windows CE?
  • Would it be better to do an upload in the morning and a download in the evening instead of being connected directly?
  • Is anyone doing this now?
Thanks for your help,

Bob Regier
GIS Manager
Township of Langley,
BC Canada _______________________________________________________________________ List hosting provided by Directions Magazine | www.directionsmag.com | To unsubscribe, send e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and put "unsubscribe MapInfo-L" in the message body.