I found that MI 5.5 is dealing wrong with RowIDs. Try the following:

Create a table with several objects, select some of them and issue the
following command in the MapBasic window:

Fetch Rec n From Selection Print MyTable.RowID

(where n can be from 1 up to number of selected objects and MyTable is the
name of the table)
and see what row number is printed in the Message window. Regardless "Rec
n", it is always the highest ID of all selected objects.

Another bug:

Create another table with objects of many kinds (regions, points, lines...),
enter following command in the MB window

Add Column TabName (RowNum Integer) From TabName Set To RowID

open a browser from that table and check numbers in the created temporary
column RowNum. As you can see, not all object have been assigned row
numbers - points, lines, polylines, and arcs have zeros!

I have been trying to make only a simple utility, now after hours of
programming and trying to find the problem I think I am going to throw all
the work out of my window.

Regards,
Jaromir SVASTA
Hydrogeologist