On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Thoen, Bill wrote:

> For all but the largest scale maps, doing that would be a big mistake.
Not
> only for GIS reasons, but for cartographic as well. At small scales
> closely spaced vectors (as in edges of true-width roads) look terrible.
> Better to just style the single line with a color and/or a width.

I completely agree, and would like to add a reason too. These simulated
roadside lines could be mistaken fo measured roadside lines, and this could
in time lead to more confusion. I think centrelines are good because they
signify the accuracy of the data.
"Here we have a road which is measured with moving gps or high altitude
photogrammetry"
or, with measured curbsides or roadsides -
"Here we have a road which is measured with precision gps or other
terrestrial surveying."

If I would want a certain cartographic expression, based on road width, I
would set up a thematic template for the intended map scale that sets the
width of the line on a width or road class column.

H�lsning/ Best regards Mats.E
________________________
FB Engineering AB
S�dra F�rstadsgatan 26
211 43 Malm�

Tel: 040-665 64 80
Mobil: 0705-27 60 27
Fax: 040-665 69 90
e-post: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.fbe.se




---------------------------------------------------------------------
List hosting provided by Directions Magazine | www.directionsmag.com |
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Message number: 9501

Reply via email to