Thanks Guy,

I actually encountered that session projection quirk you mentioned, and fixed it as suggested,

Regards, Hugh.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Guy E Corcoran" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Strawbridge Nola" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, mapinfo-l@lists.directionsmag.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [MI-L] RE: Geo-coding
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 14:03:20 +1300

Nola and Hugh,

This is how I'd update the columns too, but do not forget to set the session projection to the correct coordinate system before running the update query.
Even if your map is in the correct projection somehow we have found that MI will default to something else (usually Non-Earth) when updating the columns.

This can be set in the Options/Preferences/Map Window dialogue, or using a string in the Mapbasic window.
For example:
Set Map XY Units "m" CoordSys Earth Projection 18, 31, "m", 173, -41, 2510000, 6023150
sets the correct paramters for New Zealand Map Grid.

regards

Guy Corcoran
Business Solutions
GIS / Data Management Technician
MWH NZ Ltd. (Christchurch)
Ph: (64-3) 343-8728
Mob: (64) 21 109-0735
Fax: (64-3) 341-5345

"Strawbridge Nola" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

09/10/2006 10:54

<mapinfo-l@lists.directionsmag.com>
cc
Subject
[MI-L] RE: Geo-coding

Hugh,
You could try Table/Update Column to get current coords displayed- i.e.
Coord_X=CentroidX(obj),Coord_Y=CentroidY(obj).
HTH
Nola
Nola Strawbridge
GIS Admin/Analyst