Thank you to everyone who responded.  I have solved the problem and just in case any of you come across this here is what Dale said.

Hi Sandra,

There been a few other reports of this type of thing happening recently.

I think the issue is that the original source files have no cordless system and ordered your choosing the non-Earth coordinate system when you are doing your import.  I believe what's happening is that the bounds of 0,0 to 10,10 is being used incorrectly -- we're talking with MapInfo to find out where this is coming from.  The solution would be to choose a coordinate system that is not non-Earth, provided that you know what that should be.

If you'd like us to examine this further (we are the makers of the universal translator, which is a subset of our flagship FME product), please send your log file which the universal translator would've produced in to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and we can take a further look.

Good luck!

Dale

Cheers,

Sandra Rickard