Richard

I'm not sure if you subscribe to the MapInfo-L list but there have been
problems with the Universal Translator (a free utility, a cut-down version
of FME from Safe Software) incorrectly handling SHP files when importing
them into MapInfo.

Your email (below) says " It seems to be Ok on points only data but lines
(and assume polygons) get corrupted and MapInfo refuses to load them."

This is EXACTLY the problem that Universal Translator has with SHP files -
ie, it's not a Manifold issue.

I can email you the posts on MapInfo-L which describe this problem (there
are at least 3 separate persons posting about it, I think).

This is different from your issue - and may well be a good reason NOT to
make SHP files from Manifold and then import them to MapInfo - ie, you would
be better off exporting from Manifold in 'native' MapInfo TAB/DAT/etc
filesets, or as MIF/MID (as I suggested earlier).

The issue of the line styles, etc not matching from Manifold to MapInfo is
something that Manifold is continually improving.

In fact, if you read the MapInfo-L list, it's also currently an issue for
some people for the import of all sorts of ESRI data which has stylist
information, into MapInfo - it's a fact of life, for every GIS that needs to
exchange data with every other GIS.

IL Thomas
GeoSciSoft - Perth, Australia