Hi Ryan,

I had the same problem just yesterday.  In my case the name of the
column had been changed from outside of the workspace (i.e. the changes
were not svaed within the problem WOR).  I just changed the column name
in the WOR to match the name in the TAB in question with a text editor.
I did this rather than changing the TAB just in case someone else had
created a WOR based on the new column name for the TAB.

I've not seen this error message without saying what the field or
variable was: i.e. Variable or Field ID not defined.  ID is the field
that was changed in my case to PRIORITY.  Anytime a workspace doesn't
open properly, I always open it in a text editor to see if I can find
what the problem might be (not a bad way to learn a little MapBasic
too).

Not sure if this is the same cause as yours, but it might be worth
looking into.

I know what you mean by the custom labels, too.  I can spend hours
getting them just right for some maps.  To have to do them over again is
a extremely frustrating.

Don